Holidaze announced their 2018 lineup and location, and we’re stoked as ever for the winter festival. Year after year, the Holidaze tradition blows us away with their stacked lineups and ongoing sense of community that’s uniquely crafted at the intimate destination get-away. Scheduled for December 12th through 16th, the four-night event is returning to Puerto Morelos, Mexico to the Now Sapphire Resort and Dreams Resort & Spa—where Cloud 9’s Strings & Sol event has also taken place in years past—and will be tapping some of our favorite acts to join them including fan-favorite veterans of the festival and newer faces to keep things fresh.Topping the newly dropped lineup are host band STS9, Umphrey’s McGee, and The Disco Biscuits, who are each slated to perform three full-set shows, taking place right on the beach under some of the most beautiful sunsets in the world. Holidaze veterans Lotus and Orchard Lounge will also join the lineup, as well as newcomers Pigeons Playing Ping Pong and Ghost Light—each performing two shows throughout the event. Every show is guaranteed to be an extraordinary experience for fans, set in a variety of unique venues, including the beach main stage, poolside gazebo, and an open-air palapa—all steps away from guest rooms and all-inclusive amenities.Venturing into its 12th year, the event continues to take it to the next level by maintaining its intimacy and bringing fans experiences that extend beyond the music, found only at Holidaze. Curated experiences include interactive artist-hosted activities and workshops, poolside competitions, theme nights, an autograph signing, morning yoga, charitable day of service, and so much more. Guests also have the opportunity to book select off-site excursions to explore the beauty and culture of the surrounding Mayan region extending from Cancun to Tulum.The event is all-inclusive, with a variety of room selections (including some stage front and oceanfront suites), an array of all-inclusive dining options, fully equipped fitness centers, world-class spas, and unlimited drinks at bars throughout the properties and the concert area. Check out the full lineup below, and head over to Holidaze’s website for more information and booking.
(ESPNCRICINFO) – IPL 2020 will take place in the UAE from September 19 to November 10, pending clearances from the Indian government.During its meeting on Sunday, the IPL governing council decided to set a 24-player limit for each squad, and approved the use of unlimited Covid-19 substitutes.The window makes IPL 2020 a 53-day event, three days longer than the last two seasons, and the longest of all the eight-team editions of the tournament. Ten of the 53 days will involve double-headers. The matches will be played across Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, with night matches starting at 7.30pm IST (6.00pm UAE time), and afternoon matches at 3.30pm IST (2.00pm UAE time).A franchise told ESPNcricinfo that detailed fixtures would be sent to them on Monday, and that the first leg of the tournament will be played behind closed doors. The Emirates board, earlier this week, had shown a keenness to fill the stadiums to 30-50% capacity.A BCCI release said the Women’s T20 Challenge would also take place alongside the IPL, featuring three teams playing four matches during the final week of the tournament. The release added that the governing council would finalise and publish its standard operating procedures (SOPs) “in due course, including the agencies to execute and deliver a bio-secure environment for safe and successful conduct of IPL 2020 Season.”In the lead-up to the meeting, it was understood that the date for the final was a toss-up between November 8 and November 10. With the latter date chosen, the IPL will for the first time have the final on a weekday – Tuesday.The BCCI said a meeting with the franchises would be called shortly, and among the logistical and operational issues that will be discussed before the SOPs are ready, three franchises – Sunrisers Hyderabad, Rajasthan Royals, and Kings XI Punjab – will likely be seeking clarity on the squad limit, given that all three of them currently have 25 players listed in their squads on the official IPL website.The IPL will retain all its major sponsor, including the Chinese mobile company VIVO, the title sponsor. The topic of Chinese sponsors has been a contentious one in recent weeks, given the cross-border tensions between India and China.In April, the BCCI postponed the 2020 IPL season indefinitely due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The board’s first preference was to stage the event in India, but therapidly increasing count of coronavirus cases in the country has made that unfeasible. The total count of confirmed cases in India has shot past the 1.75 million mark, which puts the country place behind only the USA and Brazil worldwide.On July 21, Brijesh Patel, the chairman of the IPL governing council, announced that plans were afoot to hold the tournament in the UAE. Part of the 2014 edition was also held in the UAE, since it coincided with the general elections in India.
Professor Stacey Schepens Niemiec, who created MovingUp, aims to prove that older adults are open to new technology. Photo courtesy of Stacey Schepens Niemiec.The occupational therapy program at USC is in the process of improving the lives and health of older adults. Stacey Schepens Niemiec, assistant professor of research at the Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, is spearheading the creation process of the MovingUp app, along with a team of health professionals, software engineers and community partners. The app, made possible by a $468,000 grant from the National Institute on Aging, focuses specifically on improving the physical activity of the older adult population.“I want people to understand that older adults are open to trying technology and using it for their health,” Schepens Niemiec said. “They just need access to it and they need something that is tailored to their specific needs, and that is what we are doing with this grant.”MovingUp was originally funded by an award from the Rehabilitation Research Career Development program, which was only able to fund the beginnings of the app over the last five years. However, the new grant from the National Institute on Aging will ensure the finalization of three of the five envisioned features of the app within the next two years. Schepens Niemiec is an occupational therapist and instructional designer by training, and first came to USC as a postdoctoral fellow. Her research and interests have always concerned technology use in older adults, as well as technology use for health and wellness. “There is this trend of using mobile health apps to improve health in generally younger populations,” Schepens Niemiec said. “I saw a gap there in terms of what’s known as the digital divide.”Schepens Niemiec sees this digital divide as a failure to introduce technology into older adults’ lives. She believes that there are stereotypes instilled in society that the elderly population is averse to using mobile applications as a part of their everyday lives.The challenge of creating an app has turned out significantly different in practice than the design team had initially envisioned. “The development process is so cumbersome and I didn’t know that until I started working on a single app,” Schepens Niemiec said.Nevertheless, the MovingUp team is making an effort to promote health in a way that has never been done before. The application will be evidence based, which is the first time such a design will be implemented in a wellness app. Due to its design, the development process requires an extensive commitment to beta testing.“We are doing a little bit of testing with the funds that I have,” Schepens Niemiec said. She tested 150 people in getting the self-tracking component up and running, including 50 younger, 50 middle-aged and 50 older adults doing a walking, standing and sitting task.This progress check feature, as she calls it, is about halfway done at the moment, as are the two other funded features. The remaining two features are currently in storyboard development, and their completion will depend on whether additional funding is granted.
The two special screenings of ‘A Stranded Nation’ is taking place June 27 at The Lido Theatre, with a screening at 11:30 a.m. and the next at 6:00 p.m.Tickets for each screening is $25.00 per person.For tickets and information, you can call The Lido at 250-785-3011. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – This Thursday, June 27, there will be two special screenings of a new documentary at The Lido Theatre.Produced by Heidi McKillop, ‘A Stranded Nation’ is a documentary that addresses the key issues around Canadian oil and gas development and explores the interconnections between oil and gas and everyday life.The documentary features interviews with prominent industry leaders and supporters of the Canadian Natural Resource sector.- Advertisement -McKillop says the goal of the documentary is for people across Canada, particularly young people, to be better informed about oil and gas.She also says Alberta’s concerns should be heard and that the country needs to work together.“Our overall message is that Canada is not an environmental laggard, it’s not dirty oil, that Alberta’s concerns should be heard and that we need to start working together cross-provincially.”Advertisement
Related posts:Costa Ricans report increasing safety concerns; 2016 is set to become most violent year on record Government announces increased security measures to curb recent crime wave Salvadoran man deported from United States suspected in murder at San José hotel Men caught with one ton of drugs in Costa Rica allowed to walk free, police say The number of property crimes in the Caribbean province of Limón fell during the first six months of this year compared to figures from 2016, theNational Police confirmed this week.The report comes from the police’s Analysis and Statistics Department and also includes data from the Judicial Investigation Police.The inform states that police received a total of 2,512 complaints for property crimes. The figure represents a 13.6 percent drop, or 394 complaints fewer than those recorded in the same period of 2016.Property crimes in the report include complaints for robbery, home robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, auto burglary, and theft of livestock.Crimes by typeBurglary is the crime that saw the largest decrease in the inter-annual comparison. Police agencies received a total of 220 complaints in the past six months, representing 57 more — or 20.5 percent — less than in the same period last year.Armed robbery fell 13.7 percent. Police recorded 327 complaints this year, and 379 in 2016.Figures of vehicle theft in the Caribbean province also went down from 151 in the first half of 2016 to 115 this year, a 23.8 percent drop.The report noted that crimes against property also declined slightly across the country. Between January and June 2016, police precincts in all seven provinces received a total of 28,310 complaints for property crimes. The figure for the same months this year fell to 27,812.That represents 498 complaints less across the country, or a decline of 1.8 percent.Boost in securityGovernment efforts to bolster security in Limón followed a shootout on a Caribbean beach that left five people dead on Oct. 2, 2016. Top Public Security Ministry officials met in the province on Oct. 5 and pledged to enforce a plan to curb the wave of violence in the region.As a first action, National Police Director Juan José Andrade sent 400 additional police officers to conduct patrols at the province’s most conflict-ridden neighborhoods.Public Security Minister Gustavo Mata promised at the time that extra police surveillance would continue in the province until they manage to control the situation. Facebook Comments