“It’s not in GM’s interest, Delphi’s interest or the UAW’s interest to have a strike,” Dubrowski said. Neither GM nor Delphi would give specifics about the talks. GM has said it could be liable for anywhere from nothing to $12 billion in pensions and benefits for Delphi employees. In a note to investors, Goldman Sachs analyst Robert Barry said GM wants to avert a Delphi strike and win UAW approval for its own restructuring. Last week, GM announced a plan to cut 30,000 hourly jobs and close 12 facilities in North America. In exchange, GM could provide cash for Delphi employee buyouts or might agree to allow Delphi workers to flow back to GM, Barry said. Healy said negotiating with Delphi is the lesser of evils for GM. In addition to avoiding a strike, GM doesn’t want the bankruptcy court to transfer pension liabilities to GM, Healy said. James McTevia, a restructuring expert involved in the Delphi bankruptcy proceedings, said it’s even possible GM would reacquire Delphi. “They will not let Delphi go out of business,” McTevia said. But GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner said in a recent interview with The Associated Press that GM has no plans to take back Delphi plants. “We already made the call that that can be done better by specialists in that area, and we don’t see a lot of trend in the business to revertical integration,” Wagoner said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals The UAW called the announcement “a positive sign” but said it won’t restart stalled discussions with Delphi until the auto supplier retracts a proposal that would cut hourly workers’ wages by nearly 62 percent, from $27 an hour to $10 to $12.50 per hour. “If Delphi is serious about restarting discussions, taking that insulting proposal off the table would be a good place to start,” UAW President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice President Richard Shoemaker said in a joint statement. Delphi spokeswoman Claudia Piccinin wouldn’t elaborate on the company’s talks with its unions but said Delphi has made recent progress with GM. Delphi is GM’s former parts division and the automaker’s largest supplier. Delphi said GM has agreed to temporarily forgo price cuts on some Delphi parts in order to help the struggling supplier. GM bought $14 billion in parts from Delphi last year, or around 16 percent of its total parts spending. The automaker has estimated that it pays $2 billion more per year for parts from Delphi’s North American facilities than what it could pay on the global market. GM spokesman Jerry Dubrowski said GM is working toward an outcome that satisfies its shareholders and ensures Delphi’s survival. GM spun off Delphi in 1999, and the two companies share common labor agreements. DETROIT – Delphi Corp., which filed for bankruptcy last month, said Monday that it’s making progress in restructuring talks with General Motors Corp. and will delay an effort to reject its union contracts. Delphi, the largest U.S. auto supplier, was scheduled to ask a bankruptcy judge to void its union contracts Dec. 16. The company is pushing that back to Jan. 20. Delphi has almost 34,000 hourly workers represented by the United Auto Workers and other unions. GM shares rose on hopes the negotiations will avert a strike that could fatally wound the already crippled automaker, which is losing U.S. market share and has lost more than $3 billion in the first nine months of this year. GM shares were up 36 cents, or 1.5 percent, to close at $23.22 on the New York Stock Exchange. “The threat of a Delphi strike is somewhat reduced by this action,” said David Healy, an auto analyst with Burnham Securities.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppWashington DC, U.S.A, September 27, 2016 – The Region of the Americas has successfully eliminated Measles, Rubella and Congenital Rubella Syndrome. The announcement was made, September 27th, 2016 at the World Health Organization for the Americas’ 55th annual Directing Council in Washington DC. It is the first region to have eradicated small pox, the first region to have eliminated poliomyelitis and now it is the first region to have eliminated Measles, Rubella and Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS).The process began within the Americas in 2007 where countries were urged and agreed to work towards the elimination of Measles, Rubella and Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS). Measles and Rubella are highly infectious diseases which affect the respiratory system; CRS can be contracted by infants born to mothers who have not received the rubella vaccine. The last reported case of Rubella within the Americas was in 2009, this allowed the International Expert Committee (IEC) to validate the region as having eliminated Rubella and CRS in 2015. Measles was scheduled to be a part of this validation, but because of the outbreaks in Canada, the United States, Brazil and Ecuador during the period in which the region was to be validated, the verification was withheld.Elimination means that a region would have had to interrupt endemic transmission of Measles over a period of time. Simply put, all the countries in the Americas would have needed to have zero cases of Measles, Rubella and CRS contracted within any of the countries for a period of time. The last outbreak of Measles in the region was in 2015 in Brazil as a result of an imported case from another region.“Today we say bye-bye to indigenous transmission of Measles. We celebrate this historic day in which the scourge has been eliminated,” said Dr. Carissa Etienne, Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).Premier Dr. The Hon. Rufus Ewing stated; “The Turks and Caicos Islands is elated to be a part of this great success. The country has always boasted of its high coverage in Measles and Rubella vaccination over the years, due to the hard work and dedication of our public health staff and public health policies over the years. We will continue to work to maintain a high coverage in all vaccines and to go even higher.”Elimination does not mean eradication and so the work must continue to ensure that we keep the TCI Measles, Rubella and CRS free. In attendance at the 55th Directing Council and also the conference on Medical Health Tourism is the Hon. Premier and Minister of Health Dr. Rufus Ewing, Permanent Secretary Mr. Wesley Clerveaux along with other members of staff from the Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services and the office of the Premier. Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
#magneticmedianews#obiesaysgoodbyetochristie Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #obiesaysgoodbyetochristie Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, May 19, 2017 – Nassau – Former Minister of Tourism Obie Wilchcombe expressed his shock at the PLP’s loss in the General Election while bidding farewell to Party Leader Perry Christie after 20 years as the PLP’s leader.“Many are still trying to figure out why the thousands of Bahamians did not vote, why many stayed home and how change could come when the people did not indicate that they truly wanted the change”, he said.In acknowledging all of Christie’s accomplishments and goodwill, Obie also made mention of those that have betrayed the Former Prime Minister, over the years.“Many of us say thank you for opening the doors for so many because there are those that even criticized you, who you opened doors for. Those who’ve said things about you who you gave opportunities to. and those who you in fact, gave second chances to, who turned their backs on you. But I’m reminded that you can only be back-stabbed by a friend.”, he stated.He continue, promising party supporters that the PLP will rebuild and do their best to win the next election.“We will rebuild with our deputy leader, we’ll rebuild with our chairman, we will rebuild with all in this organization because you have told us “Never give in, never give up, never retreat.” So, Mr. Leader, we will win the next one but we will win this one for you, Mr. Leader.”Obie Wilchcombe revealed that he will run for chairman of the PLP at the party’s next convention as Bradley Roberts will not seek re-election to that post.
Pep Guardiola has declared Leroy Sane as the world’s best winger ahead of Manchester City’s Carabao Cup final with Chelsea on Sunday.The Germany international came off the bench on Wednesday to equalise for City against former club Schalke 04 in the first leg of their last-16 Champions League clash by scoring a superb free-kick from 30 yards out.Sane’s goal helped inspire 10-man City to a 3-2 comeback victory on the night and he will now be eyeing a starting spot at Wembley this weekend as the Citizens chase a second successive Carabao Cup.But opportunities at the Etihad Stadium have been a little harder to come by this season for Sane due to Bernardo Silva’s adeptness down the right wing and Raheem Sterling’s fine form.However, Guardiola holds Sane in very high regard and will not contemplate moving him down the middle.“Playing in the middle he can do it,” said Guardiola on the club website.“But I think he’s better out wide.“I’m not saying he can’t (play in middle) but at the moment we have better players to do that job.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“But Leroy is best playing in the world out wide. I’d prefer to use him where he is strongest, he’s an incredible player.”The former Barcelona coach is well aware of the importance that this weekend’s cup final can have on his City team and is wary of a possible revenge-seeking Chelsea, who they thrashed 6-0 in the league on February 10.“It was really important [to win the Carabao Cup],” revealed Guardiola.“In the Premier League, we were flying in that period but in the days before, we went out of the FA Cup at Wigan.“It is not the most important title but we are here, playing at Wembley – a magical stadium, against a top side in Chelsea.“In the moment, I was so happy but today, I wish we hadn’t beaten them 6-0!“I don’t like to play one team in a short period of time, after you’ve beaten them. They are professional players and they will go extra.”The Carabao Cup final between Chelsea and City will take place at Wembley on Sunday with kick-off set for 5:30 PM (CET).GELSENKIRCHEN, GERMANY – FEBRUARY 20: Leroy Sane of Manchester City celebrates with teammates after scoring his team’s second goal during the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 First Leg match between FC Schalke 04 and Manchester City at Veltins-Arena on February 20, 2019 in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Immunization backup technicians from the medical component of the Ohio Air National Guard’s 179th Airlift Wing will deliver medical services to surrounding communities in north central Ohio, under training affiliation agreements the wing signed last week with two local health departments.The agreements will allow the 179th Airlift Wing Medical Group to support the Ashland County-City and Richland County health departments while fulfilling training requirements.“Today we sign and formalize the agreement and as our members need training, we will reach out to the partnerships and work out the details,” said Col. Dan Tack, vice commander of the wing.The agreements were reached under the Air Force Community Partnership program. At least week’s meeting hosted by the 179th Airlift Wing and 200th REDHORSE Squadron, based at Mansfield Lahm Air National Guard Base, military and community officials also discussed ways to advance collaboration efforts in areas such as blight removal, joint small arms firing ranges and snow removal, reported the 179th Airlift Wing.An initiative allowing the Air National Guard to support neighboring communities with the demolition of deteriorating and unsafe structures would require the Realistic Military Training (RMT) program to be amended. The RMT program would need to approve the use of Air National Guard personnel and equipment to assist in a public-funded blight removal project.“RMT provides realistic military training, critical to force readiness, off federal property. This program applies to any training. However, it currently does not apply to the National Guard in Title 32 status,” said Lt. Col. Troy Cramer, of the 179th Airlift Wing.The Office of Force Training for Readiness is expected to amend its requirements by this summer, Cramer said. Dan Cohen AUTHOR