Chelmer home steeped in history to sell under the hammer

first_imgThere are ornate decorative ceilings.The two-bedroom cottage is like stepping into a time capsule, with immaculately maintained classic features from decorative ceilings, to the retro lime green kitchen bench with matching green oven. This home at 120 Chelmer St West, Chelmer, will go under the hammer at the weekend.This Chelmer home is believed to be nearly 100 years old and has hit the market for the first time in 30 years.It is disputed the home, which is to go to auction on Saturday, was built in either 1920 and 1921 due to old address book records.Len and Lorraine Thornquist bought the Californian bungalow at 120 Chelmer St West in 1983 and said the fact the home was concrete was unusual for something of that era. The home at 34 Chiswick Rd, Bardon, is for sale for the first time in 40 years.On the other side of the river, 34 Chiswick Rd, Bardon, is also set to go under the hammer.It is the first time this home has been offered to the market in 40 years, with its previous owner living to 104 years old. More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoThe backyard is designed to take advantage of Queensland’s warm weather.Dixon Family Estate Agents Toowong marketing agent Carol Summerlin said many locals had shown interest in the property and had been lured by its wide frontage and location.“Everyone is raving about the kerb appeal,” “There has been a huge amount of local interest and we believe it will go to someone who is already living in the area.”The home will go under the hammer this Saturday, May 5 at 9.30am. The bedroom has ledlight windows.“Most of the Californian bungalows were built in wood or lead brick but the concrete block was really cutting edge technology in the 1920s so there aren’t many around,” Mr Thornquist said.It was originally thought the home was built by iconic Walter Taylor but Mr Thornquist has since read research to suggest the home was more likely constructed by Kon-Krete and Co. due to a number of other homes of similar architectural design they had built in the area.center_img The home as a retro benchtop and oven.The bathroom also has lime green tiles. The Chelmer home retains all of its charm, even after nearly 100 years.In the time the couple have owned the home, they have almost doubled it in size, transforming it from a two bedroom cottage to a family home by adding a master bedroom with ensuite, along with a dining room, living room, study and a large deck out the back. The bathroom keeps with the theme, with lime green tiles.Ray White Paddington agent Phil Waight said he had received a fair amount of interest in the property and was optimistic it would sell under the hammer.“It’s an entry level to Bardon,” Mr Waight said.“It does appeal to younger people because it’s in that the first home owners price range.”Mr Waight said there was work to be done to the home but buyers could “complete it to their own standards”.The auction is on May 5 at 1pm.last_img read more

Pakistan bowler Irfan suspended for year over spot-fixing

first_img(REUTERS) – Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Irfan has been suspended for a year and fined 1 million rupees (£764 881) after failing to disclose two approaches made by bookmakers during this year’s Pakistan Super League (PSL), the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said yesterday.The 34-year-old, who played for Islamabad United in the 2017 PSL, admitted the charges levelled against him by the PCB’s anti-corruption unit.The PCB will review the suspension after six months, at which point Irfan’s contract may be restored. Over seven feet tall, he has played four Tests, 60 one-day internationals and 20 Twenty20 internationals.The PCB said last month it was investigating whether an international betting syndicate was trying to influence matches in the PSL.“You are aware that on March 14 the board called in and suspended me on the basis of two allegations, out of which I accept that it was my fault that I failed to let the board know when bookies approached me,” Irfan told reporters yesterday.“I am formally asking the nation for their forgiveness and hope that I will be pardoned by them.”Pakistan were involved in spot-fixing case in 2010 when three players – Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt – were suspended and later jailed for their part in incidents during a Test match against England at Lord’s.All three are now playing competitively again, with Amir part of the Karachi Kings’ squad for this season’s PSL.last_img read more

Official:Liverpool unveil Moses at Anfield

first_imgLiverpool FC have confirmed the signing of Super Eagles forward Victor Moses and have unveiled the player at Anfield in the early hours of Monday morning.The 22-year old becomes the Reds’ eighth signing of the summer and the third deal to be concluded on Monday following the earlier announcements of defenders Tiago Ilori and Mamadou Sakho.ConfirmedLiverpool in a statement on its official website confirmed the signing of the Nigerian star from Chelsea on a season long loan deal.-Liverpool Football Club has today completed the season-long loan signing of Chelsea forward Victor Moses.-The Nigerian international will spend the duration of the 2013-14 season at Anfield after passing a medical at Melwood on Monday. The statement read. Player’s recent statsMoses signed for Chelsea from Wigan Athletic a year ago and made 27 starts and 16 substitute appearances last season, scoring 10 goals including four strikes during the successful Europa League campaign.last_img read more

186 employees of Columbus Junction pork plant test positive for COVID-19 — one new case reported in Cerro Gordo County

first_imgJOHNSTON — Governor Kim Reynolds says the full extent of the COVID-19 outbreak among employees at the Tyson meatpacking plant in Columbus Junction isn’t yet known, but she’s releasing the latest tally.“We have tested a total of 186 positives at the plant,” she said over the noon hour today.Test results processed between Sunday and Monday alone indicated 86 workers have the virus. Reynolds said another 100 positive test results are from last week in Louisa and surrounding counties.“We’ll be able to tell the numbers that tested positive that’s tied to the plant and they’re working on doing that through the contact tracing,” Reynolds said, “so we’ll have those numbers going forward.” The plant processes pork and was closed April 6th after the first batches of test results show more than two dozen employees had COVID-19.“Public Health has been working with management at the plant to test their staff,” Reynolds said.The governor yesterday indicated state officials have secured extra testing supplies for the plant, which employs about 1,4oo people.=== Today’s report from the Iowa Department of Public Health says there were 189 new cases of COVID-19 for a total of 1899 statewide. Six new deaths were reported for a total of 49. One new case of COVID-19 in our listening area appeared on today’s report, a case from Cerro Gordo County.last_img read more