Bolt proud of Racers Grand Prix growth

first_imgA star-studded line-up has been named for this year’s Jamaica National Racers Grand Prix, which takes place at the National Stadium on June 10.The meet, which is in its second staging has been themed ‘Salute to a Legend’ to honour iconic sprinter Usain Bolt, who will be competing in his last event on local soil at the event.Some of the international names already confirmed for the meet are Olympic 400m gold medallist and world record holder Wayde van Niekerk of South Africa, 800m double Olympic gold medal winner and world record holder David Rudisha of Kenya, and Britain’s ‘double double’ Olympic 5,000 and 10,000m gold medallist Mo Farah.Bolt, who was the highlight of yesterday’s launch event, which took place at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel, said that he is pleased with how the meet has grown from last year, given that the 2016 edition set high standards to live up to.”The fact that the coach (Glen Mills) is close to a lot of athletes really helps the meet, and I know a few athletes also,” the world’s fastest man said.DREAM COME TRUE”We have always had good relationships with athletes overall. But, for me, I’m very happy. I’m very proud of my coach and the way he has built this meet. It has always been one of his dreams to really have an international meet, so this is his dream come true and he’s building it.”We at Racers are trying to make it bigger and better and any way I possibly can, I’ll also help,” Bolt added.Sports Minister Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange said that “this year, not even the great Boys and Girls’ Champs will be as highly anticipated as the Racers Grand Prix”.Grange also announced that the Government, through the Sports Development Fund, will be contributing US$200,000 ($26 million) to the meet.- R.P.last_img read more

Attack on cargo vessel in Essequibo not piracy – Police

first_imgThe attack on a cargo vessel in the Essequibo River earlier this month, which resulted in two men on the boat being severely wounded, was not piracy related.G Division Commander Khali PareshramThis is according to Commander of G Division (Essequibo Coast-Islands), Khali Pareshram, who told Guyana Times in an interview on Saturday that while his ranks are still investigating this, there was never a report about it being a piracy act.He stated that the suspects and the injured men are known to each other. It is believed that the group of men had a dispute with each other and this led to the planned attack on the cargo vessel on May 9, 2019.However, no one is presently in Police custody.“No, it is nothing of the sort of piracy. We are investigating an incident where we have made progress… we have made two arrests. They were in custody and released on bail.”Earlier this week, Deputy Police Commissioner and Crime Chief, Lyndon Alves, confirmed that the incident is now in the hands of detectives in Anna Regina, Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam).Guyana Times understands that the cargo vessel with a three-man crew came under attack at about 22:00h on Thursday last. The cargo vessel was said to be heading to Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) from Parika, Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara) when the attack occurred.Reports are two of the crew members were hospitalised after being chopped about their bodies by the attackers. At the time of the incident, one crew member managed to escape after he jumped into the Essequibo River where he waited out the attack on his co-workers.He then managed to swim back to the vessel, where he found his co-workers badly wounded. The man subsequently called for assistance on a cellular phone.The attackers also carted off with an undisclosed sum of cash that was to be used to purchase fuel and supplies.last_img read more

Man attacked woman’s car with hatchet in case of mistaken identity

first_imgA man who attacked a woman’s car with a hatchet while she sat in it terrified claimed it was a case of mistaken identity.Joe Craig appeared at Letterkenny District Court in Co Donegal charged with causing more than €2,300 worth of criminal damage to the white BMW car in Letterkenny on April 19th last. The court heard how Craig, aged 38, carried out the attacked after being provoked by another man who had invited him to sort out a matter outside St Eunan’s Cathedral in Letterkenny.The other man had called to Mr Craig’s home following a dispute over a football game.The accused told the man to go away but he then began to mock Mr Craig’s sister who had died tragically.The other man invited Craig to come down to the town and sort the matter out.Craig, aged 47, from Falcarragh, said he foolishly accepted the invite in the heat of the moment.When he went down, a verbal argument began and the man claimed his wife was sitting in his car nearby at Castle Street.Craig then proceeded to attack the car with an axe causing €2,309 after smashing a headlight and causing other damage.He soon realised it was not his rival’s car and sat on a nearby bench until Gardai arrived and he was arrested.Mr Craig’s solicitor, Mr Kieran Dillon, said his client had no previous convictions and that he was very apologetic for what had happened.He had also taken to Facebook to apologise for what he had done.Mr Dillon said “He was in a bad place because of the loss of his sister. The other party was aware of this and he made these remarks.“This has festered and then it just exploded. He was very apologetic when he realised he had wronged this woman.“He accepted his error and he waited for the Gardai to come and he was very forthright with them.”Mr Dillon said his client was a man of limited means and was currently unemployed but planned to take out a credit union loan to pay the injured party back in full.Judge Paul Kelly said “This is what happens when you take the law into your own hands.”He adjourned the case until July 9th to see what progress had been made with regard to compensation to the woman for the damage to her car.Man attacked woman’s car with hatchet in case of mistaken identity was last modified: March 16th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:attackBMWcarcourtdonegalGardaiHatchetJoe Craigletterkennylast_img read more