Oshane Bailey – good start to 2016

first_imgFormer national champion, Oshane Bailey, is looking forward to an injury-free season and a bid for a place in the Jamaican Olympic team.Speaking just after a controlled 100-metre win at the Western Relays in Montego Bay on Saturday, Bailey was cautiously optimistic about his prospects for 2016.Asked to assess his early season races, he said: “Yes, fairly good start to the season right now.”At the Grace Jackson/Queens meet two weeks earlier, he looked zippy over 60 metres, as he stopped the National Stadium clock at 6.60 seconds. On Saturday in Montego Bay, he smoothly sprinted to a winning time of 10.32 seconds. His run was aided by a wind barely over the allowable limit at 2.2 metres per second.He said his move from Akan Track Club to the GC Foster College of Physical Education and the Sprintec Club has been “alright so far”. He had been coached by Michael Clarke ever since his transfer from Vauxhall High School to Calabar High, and stayed with Clarke at Akan when his schoolboy days ended in 2009. Now he is coached by Maurice Wilson.His new training partners include 2008 Olympic 100-metre silver medallist Sherone Simpson and 2014 Commonwealth 200-metre winner, Rasheed Dwyer.”I’m getting myself used to the camp right now,” he said of his new training environment at Angels, Spanish Town, where the college is located.His senior career started well as he beat Olympic finalist Michael Frater to win the 2010 national 100-metre title and reached the Commonwealth Games final. Now 26, he set his personal best of 10.11 at the 2010 NACAC Under 23 championships.Consistent since then in the 10.1 range, he got a taste of high-level international action as anchorman of the Jamaican 4×100 team in the heats at the 2013 World Championships.With injury trouble and the change of camps behind him, Bailey is taking the Olympic year step by step. The three-time individual Boys’ Championships medal winner has straightforward goals for this season.”Going to the Trials injury- free, going to make the final,” he said. “The rest will come.”last_img read more

Can 11 Days’ Training Conquer Lesotho?

first_imgMany countless prophets in this country will have to send a message to sports administrators that success in football encounters does not depend on the application of luck.They also must be encouraged to bring a further message that quality in life and all things is not by accident but by planning and adequate preparation.It is a truism in life that those who win are those who prepare to win. The above observation is important because there seems to be an element of apathy when it comes to national team’s preparation.The national soccer team, Lone Star, is scheduled to play against their Lesotho counterparts on May 18, at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium.It was only yesterday that the team started their preparation. But perhaps, football authorities are counting on Liberian professionals abroad but starting training in such a short time for such a prestigious encounter is nothing more than preparation to fail.A source has hinted me that some officials of the LFA believe that ten days are enough to prepare a team for any assignment. However, I am yet to see if any of our coaches can support that ‘opinion.’Football authorities have known since last October that Liberia would play Lesotho to qualify to join Group C for the preliminary rounds of the Afcon 2015 and yet nothing was done.Now playing the first leg at home, a good win is the only way to ensure a successful second-leg match in Maseru, Lesotho.Liberia has not had encounters with Lesotho so both countries may be playing in a blind. A brief history of Lesotho football does not reveal much for Liberia to worry about.The Lesotho national football team, nicknamed The Crocodiles, got a first taste in international action in a 2-1 win over Malawi in August 1970. They celebrated their biggest ever win (5-0) over Swaziland in 2006 and suffered their biggest loss 0-7 to Zaire and Ghana in 1993 and 2012 respectively.A small country in Southern Africa, Lesotho has never qualified for the FIFA World Cup and neither qualified for the African Cup of Nations. The team made their biggest breakthrough in football when they finished as runners-up in the COSAFA Cup in 2000.A quick comparison indicates Liberia is ahead of Lesotho but that is no way to remain apathetic in preparing to meet them, since surprises in football makes it necessary to prepare well and ahead of time.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Travel advisory in effect for Alaska Highway north of Wonowon

first_imgAn update will be provided Wednesday morning.- Advertisement –last_img

FRANCOIS WANTED TO HOLD THE BIGGEST ANN SUMMERS PARTY EVER – EX-EMPLOYEE

first_imgANOTHER former employee of on-the-run businessman Francois de Dietrich has contacted donegaldaily.com to tell of her horrific time working with the Frenchman.Yesterday we revealed how the roly-poly crook was completely unpredictable being complete calm one minute and then exploding the next.Now another former Etic Solutions employee has revealed how the married father-of-two had a crazy plan to throw the biggest Ann Summer lingerie party in the world! The woman was initially hired as an assistant to the Marketing Manager but De Dietrich fired the Marketing Manager two weeks later and gave the woman her former bosses’ job – but refused to give her a pay riseThe woman revealed “He told me when I started there that he wanted to host the biggest Ann Summers party the world had ever seen.“I got screamed at every day…each time I put on an event he would tell me my job was on the line and scream down the phone at me (during my weekends off too) if I spent too much money on advertising.“I could talk all day about my worst job ever,” she said De Dietrich is today still on the run from every police force in Europe. He faces 18 months in jail for contempt of court after failing to give a Belfast court details of all his assets.The businessman promised people 40% returns on investments within just six weeks by selling on liquidated stock including airplane seats and designer clothing.So far the Financial Service Authority in the UK has seized Stg£20.2m. An AIB bank account in Ballybofey containing €1.7m has also been frozen.But cops on both sides of the border believe millions are still missing.Donegal investors promised their money via a third party in recent weeks have not received their cash. Copyright donegaldaily.comFRANCOIS WANTED TO HOLD THE BIGGEST ANN SUMMERS PARTY EVER – EX-EMPLOYEE was last modified: February 24th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Council to tackle height dispute

first_img Most of the two dozen residents found in violation the ordinance each year comply by trimming hedges, installing shorter fences or applying for a variance to avoid making changes, officials said. Jason Kandel, (818) 546-3306 jason.kandel@dailynews.com IF YOU GO The Burbank City Council will meet at 6:30 tonight at City Hall, 275 E. Olive Ave. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “I’m happy that we can do something that at least addresses” the issue, Vander Borght said. “I think most people didn’t pay attention to the ordinances in place, and the staff didn’t have manpower in place to enforce code violations.” Last summer, Scandiffio attended a City Council meeting, where he displayed photos he’d taken of 40 hedges, fences and walls that surpassed the city’s 3-foot height limit. Nearly three months later, he got a letter from the city, ordering him to remove an 8-foot-high hedge at his Riverside Drive home. Since then, the city has received more than 500 complaints about hedges, fences and walls that were too high, forcing the council to consider relaxing the standards. The current policy says walls, fences and hedges can be 3 feet high in front yards and 8 feet tall in back yards, according to a Burbank municipal code section that helps “create a consistent development pattern and improve the aesthetic quality of the street-scape.” Similar codes are in place in cities across the state. Burbank officials only initiate a fence, wall or hedge investigation when they receive a complaint. BURBANK – After getting hundreds of complaints about hedges, fences and walls that city rules said were too high, the City Council tonight will consider relaxing the ordinance. Under the proposed policy, the city would eliminate height limits and form a committee to work toward making the ordinance permanent. “We spoke up and they listened,” said Michael Scandiffio, a neighborhood activist who brought the issue to the city’s attention in August. “We’re hoping they approve it. It was substantial progress from the point of view of protecting our greenery and property rights. A heavy weight is lifted.” Mayor Jef Vander Borght said he believes that the committee will go a long way toward finding a permanent solution to a decades-old problem. last_img read more

Valley students ditch class to protest

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 Just before noon, about 40 protesters walked onto the San Diego (405) Freeway at Victory Boulevard, forcing the California Highway Patrol to shut down northbound lanes of the freeway. CHP officers escorted the students back to a school campus, and no arrests were made, LAPD Sgt. Dave Cueto said. About 5,300 students walked out from middle schools and high schools citywide, despite lockdowns enforced by the district, LAUSD spokeswoman Susan Cox said. The crowd was much smaller than Monday’s massive 26,000-student walkout. “With weather and traffic, we would really prefer these kids be in school, and maybe use their government civic classes to further dialogue about the proposed federal legislation,” Cox said. At Verdugo Hills and Birmingham High schools, administrators organized forums on the immigration issue to allow students to address their views. At other campuses, teachers were urged to discuss the issue in class. “So many kids didn’t know what this was about,” said Ken Cordero, dean of students at Van Nuys High School. “They just came to school on Monday and everyone was so walk out, so they just joined them.” Dampened by the rain, today’s demonstrations were less festive than on Monday. Students chanted but did not engage the public, as they did the previous day. Few drivers honked horns in support, and business owners and residents did not stand outside and cheer. High school students ditched class and took to the streets today in the second day of protests over proposed federal legislation that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally. Students from a half-dozen high schools and middle schools in the San Fernando Valley marched through the streets – some with umbrellas to protect them from a persistent drizzle – waving flags, chanting “Mexico, Mexico!” and urging other students to leave campus and join them. “We want everyone to know that you can’t mess with us, you can’t stop us,” said Jon Garcia, a 12th-grader from Birmingham High School. “Even though we’re kids, even though it’s raining, we’re letting everyone know that we deserve to be heard. “We will not stop until this bill is not passed. We will not drop this.” “We’re doing this for our people,” said Vanessa Morataya, a 10th grade student from Birmingham High. “If we don’t fight this, who else is going to fight it? “A lot of people are saying (the legislation) is going to be approved. We want to show them that we are a lot of people, and we’ll stand up for what we believe.” — Josh Kleinbaum, (818) 546-3669 josh.kleinbaum@dailynews.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

KITTEN SWAPS ONE OF ITS LIVES AFTER HOT ENGINE RIDE!

first_imgA tiny kitten has survived a ride in the hot engine of a car after hitching an unexpected lift!The kitten which survived a ride in the engine of a carThe tiny female cat, estimated to be just a few weeks old, was found in the car park of Dunnes Stores at Lower Main Street yesterday.The exhausted kitten simply fell out of the engine of the car and was covered from head to tail in oil. The driver rushed the kitten over to the Donegal Pet Rescue charity shop nearby who brought it to one of its foster carers.Last night Fiona Simpson said she had cleaned the animal and it turned out to have the most beautiful white coat.“Volunteers at the shop actually forgot to ask the woman where she had driven from so we don’t even have an idea who owns the kitten.“If someone does own it then they can have it back by contacting me. “Otherwise we are going to find it a new home.“She has been through a lot already in her short life and we’re hoping for a happy ending for this story,” said Fiona.Fiona can be contacted on 086 0518463.KITTEN SWAPS ONE OF ITS LIVES AFTER HOT ENGINE RIDE! was last modified: July 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:car engineDonegal Pet RescueDunnes Storeskittenletterkennylast_img read more

MINISTER McHUGH WELCOMES INTERIM REPORT ON POST OFFICES

first_imgMinister of State at the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, Joe McHugh TD has welcomed the interim report by Bobby Kerr on future of post offices.Minister of State, Joe McHughThe Donegal TD is a member of the Business Development Group, headed by the Dragon’s Den star and established by the Minister for Communications Alex White to review the future of Irish post offices.“I would also like to acknowledge the very constructive and diligent manner in which Mr Kerr has ensured the group have conducted their work to date. “The future of post offices in rural Ireland including places like Donegal is a key priority for this Government. Through the work of this group, of which I have been an active participant, I believe that the long-term approach agreed in this report, focusing on financial services, social enterprise, public services and white labelling will lead to the survival of our post offices.“I have written to An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny TD, highlighting the valuable work the group is doing. It is imperative that this work is allowed to be carried out. The recommendations should be comprehensively reviewed before any other actions are taken regarding services that are provided to post offices.”MINISTER McHUGH WELCOMES INTERIM REPORT ON POST OFFICES was last modified: June 16th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bobby kerrdonegalMinister Joe McHughpost officeslast_img read more

49ers’ Nick Mullens leads victory over lifeless Raiders

first_imgCLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceSANTA CLARA — There was no Jimmy G on Thursday night, but Nick M did just fine against the hapless Raiders.Nick Mullens — the 49ers’ undrafted, unknown third-string quarterback — took pity on a cynical prime-time audience by providing a performance worth watching in his NFL debut.Subbing for the injured C.J. Beathard (wrist), who had been subbing for the injured Jimmy Garoppolo (knee), the kid from Southern …last_img

SADC pushes free trade, customs union

first_imgDuring the summit, a high-level expert group was appointed to look at how the customs union can be speeded up. The team is expected to report back to the SADC by December 2011. Customs union, common market The Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) summit ended in Windhoek, Namibia on Tuesday with a resolution to consolidate time-lines for a free trade area and speed up preparations for establishing a customs union. Overlapping memberships Source: BuaNews Regarding the planned free trade area (FTA), which will facilitate trade via one-stop border posts, the summit adopted a comprehensive work programme with concrete actions and time-lines. 18 August 2010 A regional central bank and a common currency are expected by 2018.center_img Country membership overlaps exist among the SADC, the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (Comesa) and the East African Community (EAC), which presents technical challenges, as a country cannot belong to more than one customs union. However, to date, only 11 out of 15 SADC member states have joined the protocol for the creation of the FTA. The launch of the FTA, seen as an initial step towards trade integration, will move the southern African region incrementally towards establishing a customs union – originally scheduled for 2010 – a common market by 2015, and a monetary union by 2016. In a communique issued at the end of the two-day summit, attended by 14 SADC heads of state, including South African President Jacob Zuma, the leaders said they remained committed to the establishment of a customs union, saying it would help deepen regional integration. Regarding other challenges, the leaders noted the adverse socio-economic effects of the global economic crisis on the region. As a result, they resolved to hold an extra-ordinary summit on economic development. “The main mandate of this group will be to consolidate and refine technical work so far done in order to reach agreement and common understanding of parameters, benchmarks, timelines, a model customs union and its implementation modalities,” reads the communique.last_img read more